Congregate Community Meals
Subject to holidays and inclement weather conditions, meal sites are open to seniors for an average of 260 days per year. With the kitchen expansion funded through The Fremont Area Community Foundation, we prepare all meals at the White Cloud site, provide low-salt meals and meet special dietary needs of our elderly clients. We also provide soup and salad bar options at all meal sites.
To see monthly Menu please click link under page resources.
Senior Meals Schedule
|Community||Site||Days/Operation serving time|
|Newaygo||St. Bartholomew||Temporarily Closed|
|White Cloud||Senior Resource and Community Center||Monday - Friday 11:30am|
|Fremont||First Reformed Church||Temporarily Closed|
Everyone is welcome to attend the congregate meal sites. For people age 60 and older, there is a suggested donation of $3.00 per meal; however, no one will be refused a meal for inability to donate. For those under age 60, there is a guest fee of $6.00 per meal.
Please call at least one day in advance to reserve a meal in order that we can send enough food to each site to cover the number of meals needed for those attending.
Home Delivered Meals on Wheels
The Home Delivered Meals (HDMs) program is available to Newaygo County residents who meet the following criteria:
- An eligible client must be 60 years of age or older, or be the spouse of a client at least 60 years of age, or be a disabled individual under age 60 living with an eligible client who is the primary caregiver of the disabled individual.
- An eligible client must be physically or emotionally unable to obtain meals or prepare complete meals. If there is any question as to the client’s physical or emotional ability to prepare meals, a physician’s note will be required.
- An eligible client must be homebound (leaves home only for medical needs).
- An eligible client must have no adult living in the same residence or in the vicinity that is able and willing to prepare meals for the client.
- An eligible client must be physically or emotionally unable to participate in the congregate meal program. If there is any question as to the client’s physical or emotional ability to participate, a physician’s note will be required.
- An eligible client’s special dietary needs must be able to be met by the Home Delivered Meal Program’s menu in order that the meals provided would not jeopardize the client’s health.
- An eligible client must be able to feed him/herself.
- An eligible client must agree to be home when meals are delivered or contact the program when absence is unavoidable.
- Clients will be assessed for eligibility prior to starting meals (within 10 days of start for those who are referred at the time of hospital discharge) and re-assessed every six months to determine continued eligibility.
The HDMs are plated at the White Cloud site and transported by meal drivers for an average of 500 miles per day. Although the cost of transporting HDMs is rather substantial, homebound clients in all corners of Newaygo County are able to benefit from this service.
Most of the meal recipients receive one meal per day, a nutritious and hot lunchtime meal, Monday through Friday. Those who do not have family or friends checking on them on the weekends may also receive weekend meals, which are delivered each Friday. Those who are most isolated, with limited financial resources, and have few or no regular visitors receive one hot, nutritious lunchtime meal as well as one cold, nutritious dinner meal.
There is a suggested donation of $3.00 per meal; however, no one will be refused a meal for inability to donate.