Help For Families Facing Foreclosure

Jason O’Connell
  • 1087 Newell St, PO Box 885
    White Cloud, MI 49349

  • (231) 689-7230
    (231) 689-7292

Information sheets are included in tax notice mailings to educate taxpayers about the programs and services available in the County as well encourage them to get help in developing a solution to save their homes. (See list below.)

Thanks to a very generous grant from the Fremont Area Community Foundation, CNH is able to help Newaygo County families through free counseling and budgeting classes. If you need assistance or know someone who would benefit from a free, confidential appointment with a certified housing counselor, please call CNH at (231) 924-0641.

Do you have a PRE Exemption?

You are entitled to a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) on the home you live in. This exempts you from paying the school operating millage of 18 mills and translates to a significant savings on your taxes. Always verify on your tax bill, assessment notice, or with the local assessor to make sure you have this credit. It will reduce your tax bill considerably, if you qualify. If you believe you qualify and do not already have this exemption, you should file a Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption Affidavit with your local assessor before the June 1 or November 1 deadline. The form can be obtained on-line at [Form 2368 (Rev. 4-13)] or by contacting your local unit of government.

Could you qualify for a Poverty Exemption?

Each local unit of government has the authority to grant yearly Poverty Exemptions to homeowners who file a Poverty Exemption application with their township or city Supervisor and/or Assessor. Typically, these Poverty Exemptions are reviewed and acted upon at the March Board of Review meeting. It is recommended that you contact your local unit of government for their qualification criteria and an application. If approved by the Board of Review and Supervisor, the Poverty Exemption can result in a reduction of your tax bill for the upcoming year. Poverty Exemption applications must be filed yearly.

If you have specific questions about the tax foreclosure process or would like to set up a payment plan for your delinquent taxes, you may call Jason O’Connell, County Treasurer, or Julia Bird, Tax Reversion Coordinator, at (231) 689-7230. For more information, frequently asked questions, and timelines, visit our Public Act 123 Information page.

To view a Foreclosure Timeline and chart click Here.

We want to do everything we can to help you keep your property. Please don’t wait to call us and get help to save your home!

Jason O’Connell, Treasurer
Newaygo County