Emergency Help

Steven Cain
Veterans Service Officer
  • 1087 Newell St, PO Box 243
    White Cloud, MI 49349
    M-F 8am-5pm

  • (231) 689-7218 ext 7030
    (231) 689-7372

Soldiers & Sailors Relief Fund

The Soldiers & Sailors  Relief Fund provides temporary financial relief of honorably discharged indigent veterans of the United States Armed Forces who reside in Newaygo County. Those with recognized wartime service dates, [including women’s auxiliaries] and indigent wives, husbands, widows, widowers, minor children and mothers who have a minimum of one day of wartime service.

The need of each case is evaluated and the extent of aid to be granted is determined by the Veterans Affairs Committee. The department interviews, counsels, and interacts with other human service, private funder, federal, state, county and city agencies to make sure that the veteran in need is receiving information not only to fix the emergent need but to find long term solutions.

Michigan Veterans Trust Fund

The Michigan Veterans Trust Fund provides emergency grants to Michigan veterans and dependent family members to help them weather short-term financial crisis.

MVTF grants may be applied for through the MVTF county  serving the veterans county of residence. All applications are investigated and decided upon in confidence. Veterans may request a personal hearing before the county committee when their application is being considered.  Additionally, veterans have the right to appeal to the MVTF Board of Trustees if the application is denied at the county level, and will be provided with the opportunity to appear before the board to present information and answer questions.

Contact the MVTF at 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838) or P.O. Box 30104, Lansing, MI, 48909.

Newaygo County Veteran Burial Fund

If the deceased veteran or spouse’s estate is less than $250,000 Newaygo County Veterans Affairs will pay $300 towards a funeral, burial, or cremation.

To apply for emergency funds contact the Newaygo County Department of Veterans Affairs

(231) 689-7218

Newaygo County Veteran Burial Application
Soldiers and Sailors Relief Fund Application
Michigan Veterans Trust Fund