Death Certificate / Cremation Permit / Supplemental Reports
The Medical Examiner is required by Michigan to investigate deaths that are sudden, suspicious, unexpected, accidental, or violent deaths. The Medical Examiner has the authority to order an autopsy if it is necessary to determine the cause of death.
A family member should choose a funeral home as a first step in the process. The funeral homes or cremation facilities work with crematories and vital records for death certificates and with the family involved.
Funeral Home Procedures
DEATH CERTIFICATE REQUESTS – Please send requests through the State of Michigan Electronic Death Registration (EDRS) to Dr. Paul Wagner.
RECORDS REQUESTS & SUPPLEMENTS – Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CREMATION PERMIT REQUESTS – Newaygo County Policy is a $50 permit fee. Fees are to be paid in advance as detailed below.
- Primary Care Physician Death Certificates signed for Medical Examiner Cremation Permit Request:
- Please Obtain Signature of Primary Care Physician on the Death Certificate.
- Please Pay Fee for Cremation Permit
- Go to www.govpaynow.com, 1-888-604-7888, or visit the Treasurer’s Office to prepay
- www.govpaynow.com PLC:a001ku
- Or What would you like to do? (Pay Permits) — State? (Michigan) — Agency? (Newaygo County Treasurer) — Payment Type? (Medical Examiner Fees/a001ku)
- Deceased Name, Funeral Home, and Date of Death
- Contact Name, Phone number, and email address
- Please Use EDRS (Electronic Death Registration System) for the Official Cremation Permit Request to Dr. Paul Wagner.
- Please Send Receipt of Payment with name of decedent to the Medical Examiner’s office at email@example.com or fax 231-440-0806. Be sure to include your email address and fax number.
- A cremation permit review will be conducted and requests fulfilled via EDRS. Our policy is a 24hr turnaround period. Please call if you have an extenuating circumstance or email the Medical Examiner office firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Medical Examiner signed Death Certificates for Cremation Permit Requests:
- All of section one above with the addition of including a request for a Death Certificate via EDRS (Electronic Death Registration System) for the Medical Examiner to complete and sign via EDRS.
- Our staff is available to monitor this process on a continual basis. Please email or call with any and all questions.
Newaygo County policy is a $50 permit fee. Fees are to be paid in advance as detailed below:
- Death Certificates that are to be signed by the PCP…. Cremation Permit Requests
- Please obtain a PCP signature on the DC
- Please go to www.govpaynow.com, 1-888-604-7888, or visit the Treasurer’s Office to prepay
- www.govpaynow.com PLC: #a001ku
- Or What would you like to do? (Pay Permits) — State? (Michigan) — Agency? (Newaygo County Treasurer), Cremation
- Case File Number: Not Necessary
- Payment Type (Cremation Permits)
- Notes: Name of Deceased and Date of Death
- Please fax or scan the (3) Documents (Payment Receipt- DC- Cremation Permit filled out) to the M.E. office email@example.com or fax 231-440-0806.
- Please include your email address and fax number.
- A cremation permit review will be conducted, and requests fulfilled. Our Policy is a 24hr turnaround period. Please call if you have an extenuating circumstance.
- Medical Examiner Death Certificates …. Cremation Permit Requests
- All of the above except you will include a DC for the ME to fill out.